Microsoft KB Articles for the Zune
How to control your Zune device
- Hold switch: Move the Hold switch to the unlocked position to lock the controls. You can do this to prevent accidental button presses and screen activations.
- Headphone jack: Use the headphone jack to connect the included earphones or a minijack A/V cable.
- Control Pad: Press on the top or the bottom of the Control Pad to change the volume. Press and release on the right side of the Control Pad to skip ahead, or press and release on the left side to skip back. Press and hold right to fast-forward, or press and hold left to rewind.
- Back: Press and release the Back button to return to a previous menu. Press and hold to return to the Home Screen.
- OK: Press the OK button in the center of the Control Pad to make a selection.
- Play/Pause: Press the Play/Pause button to play or to pause. Press and hold for three (3) seconds to turn your Zune device on or off.
- Connector port: This is the connection for the sync cable and for accessories.
- Reset: To restart your Zune device, follow these steps: 1. Move the Hold switch to the unlocked position.; 2.Press and hold the Back button as you press on the top of the Control Pad.
How to erase all content from your Zune device
To erase all content from your Zune device, follow these steps:
- Start Zune Software on the computer.
- Connect your Zune device by using the sync cable.
- Give the Zune device time to synchronize or stop synchronizing. To stop, on the Options menu, point to Sync, point to your device name, and then click Stop Sync.
- On the Options menu, point to Sync, point to your device name, and then click Erase Zune Device.
- You receive the following message: “Erasing your Zune device library will remove all songs, videos, and pictures. Are you sure you want to continue?” Click OK.
- Erasing may take several minutes. Do not move or disconnect your device. You receive the following message: “Zune device library erased.”
- Click OK.
Erase content from a Zune device without using a computer
You can also erase the content from a Zune device without using the Zune software. This method is useful when you want to erase the content but you do not have access to a computer.
Caution No warning or confirmation message will appear on the Zune device when you use this procedure.
To erase the Zune device without using a computer and the Zune software, follow these steps:
- Set the Hold switch to unlocked.
- Press and hold the Back button at the same time as you press the top of the Control Pad.
- Immediately press and hold the Back button at the same time as you press the right side of the Control Pad and the OK button in the center of the Control Pad. Continue to hold these buttons until your Zune device restarts and you receive the following message: “Clearing contents. Please wait.”
- When the Home screen appears, the erase is complete, and you can again use the Zune device.
How to restore your Zune device
When you restore your Zune device, the startup partition and the data partition are removed and rebuilt. This process erases all content from your Zune device. This includes the Zune firmware. You must reinstall the firmware before you can again use your Zune device.
How to Move Content From Your Zune to Your PC
It seems to be one of the lesser-known functions of the Zune desktop software, and in fact something that many news stories about the Zune say isn’t possible, but you can in fact move content from the Zune to a partnered PC very easily. It’s not entirely obvious, or intuitive, but once you know what to look for it’s quick and easy. Here’s how.
- Connect your Zune and start the Zune desktop software (if it doesn’t automatically start)
- Browse to the content on your Zune that you want to move to the PC
- On the left-hand column, where you’d normally put items you want to sync from the PC to the Zune, you’ll see that the text is changed slightly. Now it says “Drag Items Here: to create a list to sync from ZUNENAME to your computer”. Drag content from the Zune and drop it into this area
- When you’ve queued up the content from the Zune into this zone, click the Copy From Device button at the bottom of the right-hand column
- Your content will be moved over. Where it ends up depends on what type of content it is – look in the root level of My Pictures, My Music and My Videos for the content
How To Put Your Zune Into Sleep Mode
Because the Zune is based on a hard drive, it takes longer to boot up than a similar Flash-based device. To combat this, and to give the Zune the “instant on” that every user wants, the Zune goes into a suspended power state – kind of like standby mode on your PC. Pressing the Play/Pause button will bring it out of standby, where it’s available for immediate use in about one second. Keeping the Zune in such an instant-on state takes a small amount of power however, which is why after 24 hours, it will shift down into sleep mode. But what if you want to put the Zune into sleep mode right after you’re done using it, because you know you won’t be using it again for 24 hours or more?
To force the Zune into sleep mode (which is when it’s really off and consuming no battery power), press and hold the Back button then press down on the control pad. After four seconds or so, the Zune will go into sleep (off) mode and it will no longer use any battery power. To turn the Zune on again, you’ll need to press and hold the Play/Pause button and it will boot up – taking 15 seconds to complete.
A quick and simple tip for you Zune owners: if your Zune is acting up, such as locking up when playing a video file or something similar (thankfully this is very rare on the Zune), rebooting the unit might help. To reboot your Zune, all you have to do is press and hold the Back button (the left-most button, the one with the arrow pointing left) while pressing upward on the control pad. It doesn’t have to be a simultaneous press: you can first press the Back button then while holding that button, press a
nd hold the control pad upward. You’ll see the Zune raise the volume (or whatever pressing up will do in the mode that the Zune is in) then after a few seconds, it will reboot itself. The reboot process takes around 15 to 20 seconds.