Mailbox Move to Exchange Online – Error: ASSERT: Reservation to update is not found

So I came across this “challenge” when trying to move a user from Exchange 2010 SP3 to Exchange Online.

All the others users in the batch worked fine, but one user would get to around 50% and then fail!

The batch log contained:

09/11/2017 17:42:55 [HE1PR04MB2985] User xx.xx' failed migration: Error: ASSERT: Reservation to update is not found

The user log wasn’t much better with:

09/11/2017 17:38:47 [HE1PR04MB3241] Fatal error ExAssertException has occurred.


MigrationMRSPermanentException: Error: ASSERT: Reservation to update is not found

So I tried something that I have done before. Using PowerShell and connecting to EXO, I ran:

Set-MoveRequest -Identity xx.xx -SkipMoving: FolderRestrictions, KnownCorruptions, FolderViews

I then restarted the batch

Start-MigrationBatch "yy_yy" -Verbose

And BOOM! it worked. Not sure what the hell was going on but hey, the user moved!

Hope this helps someone ;-)

Exchange 2010 with UAG and Moving Mailboxes to o365

Came across this the other, when moving mailboxes from Exchange 2010 to Office 365.

The move works, but takes a hell of a long time.  If you look in the move logs you see:

Transient error MrsHttpInternalServerErrorException has occurred.

It would appear that UAG has a limit of some kind that is causing these errors.

I have not tried this, however Microsoft suggest you can try create following registry key on the UAG servers.

 Value: 30 (Decimal)

Microsoft suggests that this registry key should be removed from the servers, after completing the mailbox migration task.

Activate the UAG server configuration after applying this registry key and then do “IISreset” on all UAG servers.

Outlook says .. Microsoft Exchange is not available

This was is a good one and has been doing my head in!

I had a user mailbox that could log in to OWA but not Outlook.

With outlook you would get an error saying:

"Cannot open your default e-mail folders. Microsoft Exchange is not available. Ether there are network problems or the exchange Computer is down for maintenance"

If you run:

Get-LogonStatistics -Identity <email address>

Then have a look at the FullMailboxDirectoryName

This should match the users legacyexchangedn.  In my case, another user has the same address as a proxy address.

Just removed it and everything worked fine!


#Exchange2010 #MsExchange #Powershell

Hello every Happy New Year and all that .. long time to talk.

Wanted to share this.  Basically had a Cisco UCS Blade failure today, where it took 2 nodes of a 3 node Exchange 2010 dag out.

Its been a fun day! NOT!

Anyway, I knocked this script up to monitor the database copy status when we put everything back.

PARAM([String]$Server = (HOSTNAME),
[int]$time            = 30)

Write-Host "Server:.."$Server
Write-Host "Timer:..."$time
$position = $host.ui.rawui.cursorposition
$position.y = $position.y+4
  Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus -Server $Server
  $endpos = $host.ui.rawui.cursorposition
  for($i=1;$i-le $time;$i++){write-host "." -nonewline -f Yellow;sleep 1}
  Write-Host (" "*$time)

Find Exchange Databases using Powershell

A small change in $strFilter=”(objectClass=msExchPrivateMDB)” and you get all the mailbox databases ;-)

$forest    = [System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Forest]::GetCurrentForest()
$Dom  = "LDAP://CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=" + $Forest.Name.Replace(".",",DC=")
$Root       = New-Object DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry $Dom 
$selector   = New-Object DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher 
$selector.PageSize    = 1000 
$selector.Filter      = $strFilter 
$selector.SearchRoot  = $root 
$selector.SearchScope = "Subtree" 
$Objs = $selector.findall() 

Find Exchange Servers using Powershell

#Powershell #MsExchange

I have a suite of discovery scripts that I use every now and then.  I adapted this to look in the AD and get a list of the exchange servers!

$forest    = [System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Forest]::GetCurrentForest()
$Dom = "LDAP://CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=" + $Forest.Name.Replace(".",",DC=")
$Root       = New-Object DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry $Dom
$selector   = New-Object DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher
$selector.PageSize   = 1000
$selector.Filter     = $strFilter
$selector.SearchRoot = $root
$selector.SearchScope = "Subtree"
$Objs = $selector.findall()

Backing up Exchange Server 2010 with Windows Server Backup and Powershell

#powershell #msexchange

This was fun, or not as the case may be.So I have a temporary Exchange 2010 server that I am using to migrate users on to, and then off at a later date.

I slapped a 2TB external usb disk in the back of the server and wanted to back it up.  Using the GUI is easy, but I wanted to use Powershell do it!

Now you can use wbadmin to run a backup, but this for some reason doesn’t work if you run it in powershell.  After some digging I found the powershell snapin windows.serverbackup

So you can start powershell and run Add-PsSnapin windows.serverbackup

You then find a whole load of cmdlets you can use.  Check it them here:<

I’m not going to go in to real detail, but this is basics:

$policy = New-WBPolicy
$fileSpec = New-WBFileSpec -FileSpec D:\exchange.databases\database.swing01 
Add-WBFileSpec -Policy $policy -FileSpec $filespec
$fileSpec = New-WBFileSpec -FileSpec D:\exchange.databases\database.swing02 
Add-WBFileSpec -Policy $policy -FileSpec $filespec
$fileSpec = New-WBFileSpec -FileSpec D:\exchange.databases\database.swing03 
Add-WBFileSpec -Policy $policy -FileSpec $filespec

Set-WBVssBackupOptions -Policy $policy -VssFullBackup   
$backupLocation = New-WBBackupTarget -NetworkPath $BackupTarget 
Add-WBBackupTarget -Policy $policy -Target $backupLocation   
Start-WBBackup -Policy $policy